Alaska Correctional Ministries
Featuring Goose Creek Prison
Long awaited as an answer to Alaska’s overcrowded prison populations, Goose Creek Prison began to fill its facility in early 2013 with prisoners who’d been housed temporarily in Colorado. Alaska Correctional Ministries, anticipating and praying about this new opportunity stepped up to the plate to work with the new prison staff and prisoners. Already there’s strong evidence of God at work. Here are some of the facts:
- Goose Creek is Alaska’s newest and largest prison facility!
- Along with ACM, a group of Matsu Valley pastors and ministers have been praying that Goose Creek would become Alaska’s largest “Bible school”.
- Chapel services began with 15-18 inmates at the opening of the prison.
- By the end of Oct. ’13, 700 inmates had been transferred to raise the general population to 1100.
- To date there are approximately 1350 inmates and 300 staff.
- If it were an incorporated city it would rank around 25th for Alaska!
- The inmates have requested to have actual structured church services overseen by ACM.
- There are 3 mods (housing unit of 128 ea.) of un-sentenced prisoners in lock down (allowed to go to Sunday Service only).
- A church out of Las Vegas Nevada provides their “God Behind Bars” DVD service to Goose Creek shown on a 17ft. x 17 ft. screen located in the gymnasium on Fri. evening and Sunday morning.
- Sunday afternoon chapel services currently run between 160 – 200 men.
- A faith wing has been opened with 128 men living in it. This requires special training and accountability structures, but also comes with a few freedoms.
- Currently 8 volunteers provide 24 services a week.
- 2 volunteers come in once per month, both of which minister in at least 2 of the 3 separate housing units that are locked down from general population.
- The “Church at Goose Creek” currently has 4 church set up teams, who are made up of volunteers from the Multi Faith Wing.
- ACM has the vision of building a 500 person chapel (from private funding sources) in the future.
If you would like to be part of what God is doing at Goose Creek through Alaska Correctional Ministries, you can sign up for volunteer training by contacting Chaplain Gary Lewis at 907-864-8200.
Please remember to pray for ACM, Goose Creek, and ministry at all the prisons in the State.
“I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Matt. 25:36